Saturday, March 15, 2008

More Parks...


One of the fondest memories I have of growing up in Miami is that of going down to the local park and playing baseball, basketball, or football with my friends. Throughout my term, I have tried to increase access to parks throughout the City, and this week we took several important steps toward that end.

First, a big park. The City Commission unanimously approved the plans for Museum Park, setting in motion what I think will become Miami's signature park. Not only will it house two museums, but it will be a waterfront gathering place for all to enjoy. Click here to read about it: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/457553.html

A few weeks ago, we cut the ribbon on Fern Isle park. I am especially proud of this one because it was quite literally a dump - the City used this land to dump construction debris and other waste. Not only did we clean the park, but we added land to it, and now it can be used by kids in the neighborhood to play and have fun. If you want to read more about it, follow this link: http://www.miamiherald.com/494/story/451767.html

One week, two parks - and there's more to come...