Friday, January 23, 2009

Bike Miami Days and the ING Miami Marathon

One of the great things about being Mayor is the opportunity to make truly great things happen for our city. Seven years ago, I created what is now the ING Miami Marathon, an international event that will bring over 15,000 participants to the City of Miami this weekend. On Sunday, with the support of Miami-Dade County, the City of Miami Beach, and hundreds of businesses and non-profit groups, the Miami Marathon & Half Marathon will celebrate its biggest race yet. I will be there, at 6:15am, for the start of the race and I invite you to join me to show your support for those who are promoting healthy living, the sport of running, and charities from around the world.

It is a privilege to see how far the Miami Marathon has come, and it brings me hope for the future of Bike Miami Days - an initiative I started last November to promote bicycling, liveable streets and community in the heart of Miami. Last Sunday, for its third monthly event, nearly 3,000 people came out to walk, run, bike, skate, trikke and dance their way down the streets of Downtown Miami. A lot of those people brought their cameras with them, and I hope that you will enjoy some of what they have sent to me throughout this week.
MiamiBikeScene posted a great video from Sunday, as did our friends at GreenRoks Apparel, who gave away free eco-friendly t-shirts and hats to over a hundred Bike Miami Days participants.
I am also on Facebook, and I want to thank the 'Bike Miami fans' who posted photos here, as well the people from DowntownMiami.com and the Miami New Times for posting two extensive online photo albums.
I hope to see you all at the next monthly Bike Miami Days event on Saturday, February 21st!
-Manny