Monday, May 18, 2009

The Seventh Bike Miami Day Sets Record

I'd like to thank all of volunteers, staff, friends and supporters of Bike Miami Days. Sunday's event was another great day to be in Downtown Miami, with thousands of people of all ages enjoying the open streets. I'd like to offer a special thank you to the Miami Downtown Development Authority for sponsoring the Children's Corner, great live music and the Dance Contest prizes of 6 bicycles and 1 tandem.
Bike Miami Days has really become a movement here in Miami, and it is getting attention around the country. As the Miami Herald wrote yesterday, we are the first U.S. City to host seven events like this. I hope that you will take a moment to share with me your experience with Bike Miami Days, so that we can make our next event (scheduled for October) the best yet. Please send me an email, here.
The City of Miami plans to break ground on several bike lanes projects this summer, including parts of Northeast 2nd Avenue, North Bayshore Drive and the North Spring Garden Greenway. And through October, volunteers and City of Miami Police Bike Patrol Officers will be leading monthly community "Bike Miami Rides". I'll post more information soon.
To see some more pictures from yesterday's event, please visit my Facebook page.
-Manny